Cyprus Inks Deal for Offshore Gas Concession

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Cyprus signed a 25-year concession on Thursday with a three-member consortium for the exploitation of a gas reservoir south-east of the island first discovered in 2011.

The contract with Noble Energy, Shell and Delek is the first commercial exploitation licence signed by the Mediterranean island. The Aphrodite field is thought to hold an estimated 4.1 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of gas.

Cypriot authorities have said natural gas will start being extracted in 2025, with estimated earnings of 9.3 billion euros ($10.29 billion) over an 18-year period.

"The plan includes the implementation of what we consider the best possible option, transferring gas through an subsea pipeline to Idku in Egypt from where LNG will be exported to Europe and international markets," Cypriot energy minister Yiorgos Lakkotrypis said in a statement.

In September last year Egypt and Cyprus signed an agreement to build an undersea natural gas pipeline from the Aphrodite field to a liquefaction plant in Egypt.


($1 = 0.9036 euros)

(Reporting By Michele Kambas. Editing by Jane Merriman)

Categories: Contracts Energy Europe Natural Gas Regulations

Related Stories

Transocean Secures $184M for Drilling Rigs Operating off Norway

Aquaterra Energy Gets Multi-Year Well Intervention Job off Spain

Two DOF Vessels Get Work in North Sea and Australia

Current News

Mubadala Energy Finalizes Nargis Deal with Eni Offshore Egypt

ExxonMobil Reviews Gas Mix at Guyana’s Stabroek Block Amid Expansion Plans

Shell to Push Ahead on Dragon Natural Gas Project After US License Shift

Tullow Acquires Ghana’s TEN FPSO, Secures Long-Term License Extension

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News