Saudi Aramco IPO: $44.3 Bln in Bids So Far

Friday, November 29, 2019

Saudi Aramco has received bids for its shares totalling $44.3 billion so far, lead manager Samba Capital said on Friday, putting its initial public offering on track to be over-subscribed.

The state-owned oil giant plans to sell 1.5% of the company's shares for as much as 96 billion riyals ($25.6 billion), a deal which would give it a market value of $1.7 trillion.

Overall demand so far totals 1.7 times the amount of shares on offer, with institutional investors having until Dec 4 to put their bids in.

In the first update on institutional investor interest in the listing, Samba said it had received bids from them worth 118.86 billion riyal($31.70 billion).

The retail tranche of the offering - which closed to subscribers on Thursday - has had bids totalling 47.4 billion riyals ($12.64 billion), around 1.5 times the amount of shares on offer to retail investors. While comfortably oversubscribed, the level of interest is relatively muted compared to other Saudi IPOs.

When Saudi Arabia’s National Commercial Bank listed in 2014 the retail portion was 23 times over-subscribed.

Aramco is relying on local and regional demand to pull off its listing, after cancelling marketing roadshows outside the Gulf region due to a lack of interest from foreign institutional investors.

Sources told Reuters this week that the sovereign wealth funds of Abu Dhabi and Kuwait planned to invest in the IPO, which could be the world's biggest if it tops the $25 billion record set by China's Alibaba in 2014.


($1 = 3.7500 riyals)

(Reporting by Marwa Rashad and Aziz El Yaakoubi; Editing by David Evans and Carmel Crimmins)

Categories: Finance Middle East Industry News

Related Stories

Santos Posts 25% Profit Fall, Plans to Cut 10% of Jobs

Mammoet Completes Record Module Loadout at Khalifa Port for Gas Project

ADNOC, RWE Explore LNG Supply Deal as Germany-UAE Deepen Ties

Current News

DOF Upgrades AHTS Fleet

TVO Adds to Project Management Team

BOEM Proposes BBG3, Third Gulf of America Lease Sale

Op/Ed: Crude Oil's Iran Premium Assumes No Supply Disruption

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News